12 April 2019



Last weekend we had some sort of family reunion/family day at some homestay in Janda Baik. This would be the first proper family gathering since I left the family Whatsapp group. Spill the tea you say? Well let’s just say I don’t agree with some of the political posting in the group and it got into some heated exchange and in the end I excused myself voluntarily from the group. As you might know, I have a pretty strong political view and belief. Suffice to say, I will not stay quiet when somebody post a preposterous political message, usually copied from the next group there on the family Whatsapp group. I can respect the fact that the entire family supports the opposition party, I just cannot accept straight up lies or propaganda pieces flashed before my eyes. I cannot help myself but comment and they are not always complimentary. Unsurprisingly, my wife was uneasy seeing me having heated arguments with my in laws including her father in the group. If I can’t response to those political message, why bother be in the group at all? So that pretty much what happened. My life has been a sea of tranquility ever since.

I know it will be a somewhat awkward gathering. I am never the talkative or friendly type to begin with. But for the sake of our family and my wife, I try to keep it cordial and amiable. Besides, fighting with your family for the sake of politics is pretty stupid. We can have our differences and be civil with each other. Politics is important but family is importanter because you are basically stuck with the latter for the rest of your lives. Anyway the family day went on quite well with the usual fanfare. We had the usual fun and games for the kids and adults. Matching shirts, exchanging of gifts and the customary barbecue.

Janda Baik is only about an hour and half drive from KL so it was strategically located with a little stream running along the homestay. I don’t fancy bathing in it much because the water’s not too deep. But the kids are absolutely loving it. Our rented room was pretty small to cram all five of us. But since someone else is paying, I can’t really complain much. All in all, it’s been a pretty decent get together. Sure you can sense a tinge of tension and awkwardness in the air. I’ve never been the model son in law that they could ask for. That said, I tried my best to keep it amicable. I know my wife is always keen to get together with her siblings and especially her parent so it’s the least I could do.

No comments:

Post a Comment