9 May 2020



My whole life, I have never had any air-conditioning installed in my home. Whether in my home town in Pasir Mas or my own home when I’m grown up. We just can’t afford it. Even later when we can afford to install some air-cond, I’m still hesitant about ponying up a hundred ringgit or more to pay for the associated electricity bill.

Serene Heights in spite of the name, is not very hilly or high. The top floor of our home can be steaming hot in the afternoon and sometimes, depending on the weather, hot at night too. It is not uncommon for me to be lying on my bed reading a book or just looking at my phone and having my pillow sprinkled with sweat. At times like that, how I wish I had some air-conditioning at home.

My wish came true when my wife bought us not one but three set of air-conditioners this month. She had a generous bonus pay from her employer this year so she decided to splurge on that. We bought two units of Mitsubishi and one Hitachi inverter from Onking store in nearby Bangi. Two days later the installer came and we finally had air-conditioning in our homes. The girls are delighted of course. Just like me, they never lived in an air-conditioned home before. We we go on a vacation, they always look forward to staying in a homestay or hotel with full-blown air-conditioning. Even just being in the car is a minor treat for them.

I know this does not really sounds like a big deal for many but it is for us. Still, I am actively limiting their air-conditioner usage to about 6 hours per day. Turn on at 9:00PM at night and the timer will automatically shut down at 3:00AM. I haven’t got my first post air-cond electricity bill yet so I’m anxious to see how much more I will be paying for this luxury. At least my family and I don’t have to sleep in the heat and humidity again at night.

Remember the price quoted at the store with installation does not include the optional casing to cover up the ugly wiring and piping for the unit. I had to fork out an extra 70 ringgit each for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment