4 March 2012



As a self-confessed tech-enthusiast, I'd like to have the best possible gadget for my everyday use. When it comes to mobile phones and particularly smart-phones, there's only one model that I will consider - the Apple iPhone. I have bought and use practically every generation of the iPhone from the 1st original iPhone, the 3G, 3GS and currently the iPhone 4. They just gets better with every iteration. Wish I could say the same for Android phones but my experience so far with them has been rather dismal to say the least.

Naturally when people ask me which phone to buy or which one is the best, I'd quickly recommend the iPhone. My wife thought the same too hence the reason she bought an iPhone 3G last year. And when one of our kids accidentally broke it, she bought yet another iPhone. When our lovely daughter Mia broke that one too, she had to be without her favorite smartphone for nearly 2 months. Mia accidentally drop the phone on the floor and the LCD inside scratched so badly, she could barely use the phone with much difficulty. During that painful 2 months without her iPhone, my wife suffered what they call the iPhone withdrawal syndrome. She kept borrowing my iPhone every time I wasn't looking to check her Facebook or Twitter feed or play games or browse the Internet when she can do just about the same thing on the PC. Like so many before her, once you have used the iPhone, you keep wanting for more of the same. No other phone can quite cut it.

So today my wife can't take living without her iPhone anymore and decided to get it repaired at Low Yat Plaza (where else). I know this little mobile phone repair shop on the 1st floor where I I've sent countless phones before for repair, including my previous iPhone for the last 2 years or so. So far I am very pleased with their work and apart from their pretty reasonable price, this shop won't try to rip me off or cheat me like the last shop I frequently go to at the same mall. I wish I could show you a photo of the shop but I just don't have any in my collection right now, maybe some other time. In the end the shop replaced the cracked LCD and they also fixed the faulty home and power button for just RM250. Trust me, other shops would charge you twice that price or even more. After today, my wife goes home happy and everything in the world is right again.

While waiting for the phone to be repaired, we spent the entire day at the Pavilion shopping mall nearby in Bukit Bintang. I have only been to this mall once before and it has a reputation for selling really expensive stuff that's beyond the means of regular folks like you and me. It also has a another stereotype where DSLR-totting adolescents come to hang out with their friends and girlfriends to take pictures of the mall or themselves. Hence the reason why I'd rather go to any other place than Pavilion. Heck they even have a song by an indie band titled "Pavilion is for losers". I'm not kidding, try Google that.

Anyway stereotype aside, this place is really expensive, including the food. After wandering aimlessly for close to 4 hours we went downstairs to the Food Republic food court to grab something to eat. Most of the meals starts from RM7 which is not too uncommon in KL but the drinks were clearly cutthroat from RM3 onwards. I don't know about you but I have this mentality of avoiding places that charge exorbitant prices for something that costs way less elsewhere just because they operate in a fancy mall. That's the same reason why I've never been to Starbucks, ever and avoid similar expensive cafes and establishment whenever possible. Perhaps well-off or rich people might scoff at this but me, I would think twice or more before throwing my hard-earned money at such places.

As a summary, Pavilion just like KLCC is quite nice if you'd like to go for an evening stroll or window-shopping. Other than that, it's just another fancy, expensive mall that's built solely for the rich or tourists.

No comments:

Post a Comment