22 October 2011



The past 2 days I've gone outstation at the Manjung power plant. I've been to Manjung a dozen times before but this is the first time I've ever been inside the coal power plant for work. Since it's an impromptu visit plus it's not weekend yet, I didn't get to bring my family along. I'm sure my wife and kids would love to visit their aunt and cousins there.

Speaking of work, it's been nearly 3 months now since I started here at this new place. Sometimes I felt so lost and hopeless in this line of work. It's just too foreign for me. It's like learning ABC all over again except that this felt more like rocket science than kindergarten. Once I consider myself the expert in my field, but now I'm like a beginner once again. I won't deny it crossed my mind to look for other more satisfying job, related to IT but then again it's only been 3 months and job-hopping after such a short time won't look good on my resumé. Besides, I think I'm made of stronger stuff. That and the fact that my current employee has been nothing but super nice and accommodating to me so far despite my dismal contribution. I guess I'll hang on for now until new opportunities come along.

Today a colleague of mine, Farid tendered his resignation. According to him, he's planning to further his studies at a college down south. He could either be telling the truth or he just got better offers from other companies but he's too chicken to tell the truth. After 31 years, I'm not so naive as to accept everything somebody tells me at face value. Anyhow, I totally understand if it's because of the latter. He did the same job as this other fellow but the fellow gets paid more just because of his race. That sucks ain't it? So now I'm back being the only Malay guy at this firm. Oooh I felt so special and privileged. I think there's been no less than 5 people who quit working here since I came. One lasted 2 month, another 1 week and the record so far was Shikin who came to work for a day and then changed her mine, LOL! I tell you, this place I'm working at right now is not for the faint-hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment