12 November 2000

Late at night and I just got back from another tiring shift at McDonald's. This time the O.C (whatever that means) visited the store. Nobody likes her this Devi, always looking for people's fault and a few could really satisfy her. Unmarried and devotes everything for McDonald's.

I started working hear on the 21st of March earlier this year. During school term I work exclusively on weekends but on holidays including semester break, I work as many days as I can. The store is quite small compared to other stores I've been to but that also means less work. There are basically 4 job descriptions here; counter, kitchen, lobby and V.I.P a.k.a the janitor or cleaning person. As management positions goes, there are the floor manager, counter manager, shift manager, 1st assistant and the store manager. Your career starts as a crew with the average salary of 3 ringgit per hour depending on store. If you work long enough (with a good evaluation record) you should climb the career ladder and become the crew leader before going into management later on. But of course promotion is only reserved for full timers with part timers like me had to content with that meager 10 cent per year increment. Horrible, I know. Besides, promotion will mean more works and I'm just happy with my current work load and pay as of now.

The crews here are quite alright, friendly and very understanding. I have no problem whatsoever with the older crews but the newer ones could be a pain in the ass. This fat, smelly and dirty boy N for example treats this store like his own. I just can't stand his sight (and smell). Most of the crew here are in their 20s except for the V.I.P, makcik Hasnah who's in her 40s.

Working here has its ups and downs. The managers are quite okay except for sometimes they could be quite bossy, telling you to do this and that. You have 30 minutes break with free meal which is after a months or so could be quite boring. Usually you'll be working for 6 to 8 hours shift not including overtime. So why did I chose Uda Ocean store instead of the others? Well for once the nearest McDonald's to my place didn't have any vacancies at that time. Second my 1st assistant manager here at the store was so awesome to hire me on the spot during my interview. To be honest, I'm so glad I got the job here instead of anywhere else. Who knew how the other place would be like. I mean you could not get a better crew and manager than where I work now. From what I've heard, other stores could be a nightmare with strict managers and lousy crews.