12 March 2000

I woke up very early yesterday morning looking for work around town. My first stop was The Mines Shopping Fair's McDonald's. Although they seemed really friendly and warm, I can sense that they don't really need any new crew right now. Call me back in a week they say. In the evening, I visited another McDonald's. This one is about 20 kilometers away from here. Same story. They'll call me if there's any vacancy. This may sound ridiculous but my heart is set on working at McDonald's only. Any one of the 25,000 McDonald's outlet around the world.

Dad finally paid me a visit today. We hang around and talked and then he made this joke of the century. "Son, I've got 500 ringgit here, how much do you want?". In the hand he just gave me one 50 ringgit note. Uh, I felt like giving a light nudge in the abdomen. Too bad he is my father. Maybe he is just as broke as I am. This made me feel even more determined to start working right away. Felt like I'm wasting all my time and energy everyday here doing nothing.