22 August 2009

Today Muslims in many parts of the world will start fasting for the next 30 days or so. This morning, we woke up rather late around 5:30 AM so we just ate the quickest food my wife can fix in under 5 minutes. Hmm wonder what it is. Anyway, I didn't mind much what we had for sahur. I usually don't have much appetite to eat anyway in these wee hours of the morning.

For buka puasa today, my wife made a simple yet delicious chicken rice dish with some onde-onde. Nothing fancy or elaborate, besides the point of fasting for Muslims is to develop a sense of fraternity and solidarity so that we can feel and experience how needy and hungry humans feel being hungry all the time.

I just don't get it why some people like to waste their money going to lavish buffet dinner at hotels, cafes and restaurants during this month. Just how much they can eat anyway? To me, they totally missed the point of fasting in the first place. They'd be better off donating all their riches to mosques or orphanage or the needy than waste them in some fancy hotel.