1 March 2008

Today we went to my uncle's place in Kota Damansara together with my mom. We had an interesting conversation on the way there when the topic of politics was brought up. As I said, my mom together with grandma has been a staunch supporter of UMNO and BN and she was rather surprised to find out out my political preferences for this upcoming polls. Obviously she doesn't read my blog. I tried to explain to her what is wrong with the current government but nothing I said can possibly change her mind. My mother has been a teacher and a civil-servant all her life so she said she's really grateful for everything the government has done to her. I'm quite at lost on how to convince her to change her mindset because like so many other older generation in this country, once they have made up their minds, it's almost impossible to change them.

So before we get into a heated and awkward argument, I decided to let the matter go. It is her exclusive right who she chooses to vote at this upcoming elections and I respect her choice no matter what. I do wish our senior citizens and folks living in rural areas have more access to the alternative media other than BN-controlled mass-media. Some of them don't even have an inkling of what's happening with the top echelons of this country, their wrong doings, scandals and corrupt practices. Until that happen, I don't see any other party capable of denying BN the 2/3 majority that they've won year in, year out.

No comments:

Post a Comment