9 April 2008

To think that I seriously considered giving this game a miss and continue with my sleep, what a miss that would have been!

The thing is I've already slept for about 2 hours after I got back from work today. Therefore by 10:00 PM, I am still wide awake despite my attempts at trying to sleep. In the end I managed to sleep around 12:30 AM. At exactly 2:00 AM my hone alarm goes off and by 2:15 I'm already driving around Equine Park searching for a place to hang out. I planned to hang at McD at first but the place was overrun by about a dozen Turkish guys, obviously waiting for the Chelsea - Fernebache game to come on (you losers!!). I didn't know there was a substantial Turkish population in Seri Kembangan! So I went to Al-Azwath instead where the real action is. Moreover, I feel right at home there with my fellow Liverpool fans since their numbers far exceeds those of the Gooners.

The match didn't start until 2:45 AM. A teh tarik and roti kaya later, my heart sank as Abou Diaby scored the first goal for Arsenal. Thank God we managed to equalise through Hyypia's header and the first half ended with a 1 all scoreline. In the second half, The Reds took the lead from Fernando 'El Nino' Torres' fantastic finish and things looked pretty rosy for us Reds fans until Adebayor scored the equaliser 5 minutes from time. I was pretty sure we'd lost on the away goal rule until the good ref pointed to the penalty spot barely 2 minutes later when Ryan Babel was brought down by Koulo Toure. Stevie G didn't spur the golden chance and restored the lead with the penalty and while every Arsenal players came up to our half looking for an equaliser, Babel broke free with a counter attack to finish off the game with our 4th and final goal for the night. Final score: Liverpool 3 - Arsenal 2 and The Reds progress to the semis with a 5-3 aggregate.
This morning's game was definitely up there with the rest of our previous historic and great European nights. I screamed myself hoarse watching this game, every goal, every near misses, the God-sent penalty, the suspense! Frankly, you don't have it easy being a Liverpool fans nowadays. It's like compulsory for us to go through a heart stopping, roller-coaster emotional ride in most of our big games. But hey, if that's they price we have to pay for the ultimate glory, then just bring it on!



Keep the faith.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment