11 February 2008

Last month a colleague of mine brought his girlfriend for an interview regarding a vacancy in the company. Today his girlfriend started her first day of work here. Co-incidentally they both worked in different departments but on the same floor so basically they get to see each other every single day.

Before his girlfriend came to work here my colleague was a merry and joyous guy. He likes to fool around with his friends, especially the girls. But today my colleague is a totally different man. He didn't go around teasing girls, careful of what he says, in short he's quiet like a mouse today. I've known that colleague of mine for over a year now and I know very well how he behaves in the office and amongst his friends. When I heard his girlfriend got accepted I quickly think that's a really bad idea. True enough, today my friend is not his usual self anymore. He cannot do anything he wants and all his move will be watched by his girlfriend who happens to sit just a few feet away.

Me, I like to fool around too and teases my female colleagues all the time. In fact everybody does that here not just me. Unlike some of them though I know my limits and never crossed the boundary in my actions. I know I'm married, everybody here knows that so it would be foolish of me to do anything inappropriate. My colleague on the other hand is still single and while he and his girlfriend are a couple, they still have no strings attached between them. Working together in the same company and in the same dept could either foster their relationship or break them apart. I'm not judging him or anything but I can feel that my colleague here is not done with enjoying his bachelor's life yet. I mean if I with my meager wages could afford to tie the know and even raise a kid for 4 years now, what's stopping this fellow here who earns more than twice as much?

But then again I am not judging my friend here or anyone. What he does with his life, whether he marries today or 10 years from now is nobody's business including me. Nevertheless it will be definitely interesting to see how things goes on from here.


Today's commentary was brought to you by Dr. Phil (and not Afif, he didn't write this and claims no responsibility on future legal actions or whatever)

1 comment: